BSBPMG522 - Undertake Project Work (Release 1)
Face-to-face duration: 2 days
Amount of training: 45 hours (16 hours face-to-face + 29 hours self-paced learning and assessment)
Unit of Competency completion timeframe: 12 months
The unit of competency focuses on the application of project-management skills and the requirement to meet timelines, quality standards, budgetary limits and other requirements set for the project.
The unit does not apply to specialist project managers. For specialist project managers, the other units of competency in the project management field (BSBPMG) will be applicable.
Overall, the unit of competency addresses the management of projects including the development of a project plan, administering and monitoring the project, finalising the project and reviewing the project to identify lessons learnt for application to future projects.
The two (2) day course will provide candidates with a solid understanding across the project management discipline. Successful completion of the unit of competency will lead to the award of a formal Statement of Attainment.
Note: The course criteria reflect audiences who do not have any project management knowledge. The design of the course is a general overview of project management and is also recognised as a unit of competency under other BSB Training Package courses.
The Institute of Management course titled 'Project Management Fundamentals' covers the same course content as this unit of competency (Undertake Project Work - BSBPMG522), minus the assessment.
Project team member; project records officer; project administrator; project support; project analyst; communications liaison; project assistant; contracts officer; project coordinator; estimator and scheduler; project officer; quality officer; small business operator in a wide range of industries.
- Communication and negotiation skills to work with team members and other stakeholders to maintain project schedules.
- Communication skills to relate to people with diverse abilities and from diverse backgrounds in a culturally appropriate way.
- Literacy skills to read, write and review a range of documentation.
- Numeracy skills to:
- Analyse data
- Compare time lines and promotional costs against budgets.
- Planning and organising skills to develop, monitor and maintain implementation schedules.
Pathways from the statement of attainment
After completing this unit of competency and in order to progress into project management, candidates may undertake:
Audience Delivery Strategy
The course has been structured to be delivered over two (2) days and will be led by our experienced trainers.
Each session contains a participant workbook which includes a series of theories and models, accompanying information, additional reading, written activities, reflective tasks and PowerPoint slides as well as the formal assessment.
We offer students up to 12 months to complete the Institute of Management BSBPMG522 - Undertake Project Work unit of competency. The course can be completed earlier depending on experience and recognition of prior learning.
RPL and Credit Transfer
Institute of Management can formally recognise a studentâ€™s existing level of skills and knowledge in two ways:
- Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
- Credit transfer
After completing this unit of competency candidates will be able to:
- Describe the project lifecycle and inter-relationships and approval processes
- Describe relevant project documentation
- Explain the importance of project monitoring and control processes and parameters
- Articulate the importance of the project closure process
- Describe the purpose of lessons learned throughout the lifecycle
The objective of the assessment process is to help students consolidate and build on the formal learning delivery of the Undertake Project Work course, through the application of learning into their current or future work role.
These assessments are designed to cover a range of skills and knowledge required to demonstrate achievement of the course objectives. Our aim is to collect workplace evidence on a number of occasions and in a variety of contexts and situations.
Requirements to receive the statement of attainment
This course requires the completion of one unit of competency made up of an in-class short assessment paper, and a workplace project management plan, which contain the prescribed employability skills.
A formal Statement of Attainment will be awarded for Undertake Project Work - BSBPMG522 upon a student demonstrating competency in the above.
The following list is a summary of broad industry employability skills that the candidate will take away from completing this unit of competency
- Consulting with stakeholders and others on developing a range of project management related plans
- Delegating roles and responsibilities to team for the implementation of project plans
- Assessing and managing risk
- Planning and managing projects in respect to time, cost, quality and resource management
- Undertaking contingency planning and integrating all project processes
- Using discretion and judgement required within complex environments
- Overview of project management processes
- Elements of project management
- Project management lifecycle
- Initiating a project
- Concepts and activities throughout the day
- Planning a project
- Implementing a project
- Monitoring a project
- Closing a project
- Concepts and activities throughout the day
- Short assessment paper